Monday 27 July 2009

Exposure

The first module is Exposure and this first shot is of the kids End of Term Reports (and for DD1 her SATs results!)

ISO 100 f4.5 1/1250 Manual

In PP I lightened the shadows as the whites were very grey. The histogram had a column in the centre top to bottom and nothing to the right of it. Is that what you get for photographing white things?

This shot is of DD1 and the Dictionary she was presented with at her Year 6 Leavers Performance. (Didn't get one of the actual presentation - camcorder/camera fiasco! The only positive out of this was I was so mad I didn't get all emotional and embarass myself!)

ISO 100 F4 1/80 Manual

SOOC The histogram was all skewed to the left, I'm guessing because of the dark background but I am pleased with it because all the detail is clear.

Both these shots were taken in Manual. I always start in AV and then go Manual if I don't get the results I want. This is fine when I have a subject that won't move or is happy to pose but I haven't got up the courage yet to go fully manual. I guess I'm worried I'll miss the shot altogether if I don't get it right first time. Having said that I know what I've got to do... practise. practise and more practise!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG. Erin looks SO grown up - lovely shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. no need for me to say anything you said it all :) nothing wrong with sticking on AV for that crucial shot

    yep there will be nothing on that shadows (blacks) side of the histo with that much white

    my studio shots always have a huge spike on the white - which is exactly what I want

    ReplyDelete